Definition of metaphorically
: in a metaphorical or figurative sense rather than a literal sense : by using a metaphor At the center of every encryption system is a secret number or mathematical operation, metaphorically referred to as a key.— Peter Wayner At a typical event, he comes crashing onstage, delivers a macho statement of intent, metaphorically flexes his muscles, then roars away.— Terry McCarthy They settled in Somerville, Mass., next door to Cambridge but metaphorically across the tracks.— Laura Shapiro
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game