Definition of metaphorically
: in a metaphorical or figurative sense rather than a literal sense : by using a metaphor At the center of every encryption system is a secret number or mathematical operation, metaphorically referred to as a key.— Peter Wayner At a typical event, he comes crashing onstage, delivers a macho statement of intent, metaphorically flexes his muscles, then roars away.— Terry McCarthy They settled in Somerville, Mass., next door to Cambridge but metaphorically across the tracks.— Laura Shapiro
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game