messed with; messing with; messes with
Definition of mess with
1 : to cause trouble for (someone) : to deal with (someone) in a way that may cause anger or violence I wouldn't want to mess with him. You'd better not be messing with me.
2 chiefly US : to deal with or be involved with (something that causes or that could cause trouble) The company doesn't want to mess with small distributors. He doesn't want to mess with cocaine anymore.
3 : to handle or play with (something) in a careless way : to mess around with (something) Don't mess with the camera.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game