mess upphrasal verb
messed up; messing up; messes up
Definition of mess up
: to make a mistake : to do something incorrectly About halfway into the recipe, I realized that I had messed up, and I had to start over. —often + on She's afraid she'll mess up on the test.I messed up on my first attempt.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?