mess upphrasal verb
messed up; messing up; messes up
Definition of mess up
: to make a mistake : to do something incorrectly About halfway into the recipe, I realized that I had messed up, and I had to start over. —often + on She's afraid she'll mess up on the test.I messed up on my first attempt.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game