variants: or less commonly mand or maun \ ˈmȯn(d) , ˈmȧnd , ˈmand \
Definition of maund
(Entry 1 of 3)
1 now dialectal British : a handbasket : hamper
2 now dialectal British : a measure, varying in quantity
Definition of maund (Entry 2 of 3)
variants: or less commonly man
Definition of maund (Entry 3 of 3)
: any of various Indian units of weight especially : a unit equal to 82.28 pounds
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game