Definition of mass defect
: the difference between the mass of an isotope and its mass number expressed in atomic mass units and being either positive or negative the mass defect of the carbon isotope6C12, mass 12.00388, is +0.00388, while that of phosphorus15P31, isotopic mass 30.984, is −0.016 — compare binding energy, packing fraction
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?