mark outphrasal verb
marked out; marking out; marks out
Definition of mark out
1 : to indicate (a route on a map) with marks I have marked out the best way to get to my ranch.
2 : to draw lines around (something) so that it can be clearly seen He marked out his mining claim.
3 : to plan the details of (a course of action) She talked about the course the European Union has marked out for itself.
4 chiefly British : to show that (someone or something) is special or different in some way Her very first book marked her out as a great poet. She was marked out for greatness.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game