march onphrasal verb
marched on; marching on; marches on
Definition of march on
1 : to come toward (a place) in order to attack it Enemy troops were marching on the city.
2 : to go or continue onward Time marches on. Governments come and go, but civilization marches on.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?