make/put a dentidiom
Definition of make/put a dent
: to decrease something slightly or to make something somewhat weaker We tried our best to fix the problem, but nothing we did seems to have made a dent. —often + in It's going to take more than a new law to make a dent in the city's drug crime.a vacation that won't put too big a dent in your wallet
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?