make short/quick/light work ofidiom
Definition of make short/quick/light work of
1 : to make it possible for (something) to be done quickly or easily This new snow shovel makes short work of clearing off the driveway.
2 : to finish (something) or defeat (someone) quickly and easily She made short work of her opponents. The kids made quick work of the french fries.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game