Definition of make certain
: to do something or find out something so that one has no doubt about whether something is true, correct, will happen, etc. Make certain (that) you lock the door when you leave. We must make certain this doesn't happen again. She made certain she thanked each of them for coming.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?