make an attempt on someone's lifeidiom (1)
Definition of make an attempt on someone's life
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to try to kill someone Someone made an attempt on her life.
make an attempt on (someone's) lifeidiom (2)
Definition of make an attempt on (someone's) life (Entry 2 of 2)
: to try to kill (someone) A would-be assassin made an attempt on the President's life.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game