make and mendnoun
Definition of make and mend
: a period (as an afternoon) given the hands on a ship for work on their clothing or as a period of leisure without set duties : half-holiday make and mends were granted in celebration of the royal birthday
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?