make a virtue (out) of necessityidiom
Definition of make a virtue (out) of necessity
: to benefit from something that one is forced to do When he lost his driver's license, he made a virtue out of necessity and got in shape by riding his bike to work.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?