make a play foridiom
Definition of make a play for
1 : to try to get (someone or something) She made a play for the job, but she didn't get it.
2 : to try to start a romantic or sexual relationship with (someone) He made a play for her.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- What's that Smell?! Quiz Take the quiz
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game