make a mess ofidiom
Definition of make a mess of
: to ruin (something) or to make many mistakes in doing (something) The scandal made a mess of his political career. The weather made a mess of our plans. He made a mess of his speech.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game