make a differenceidiom
Definition of make a difference
1 : to cause a change : to be important in some way Cost can make a difference in deciding on a college. Your help made a big difference. It may not matter to you, but it makes a world of difference to me.
2 : to do something that is important : to do something that helps people or makes the world a better place She says that she got into politics because she wanted to make a difference.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game