make a comparisonidiom
variants: or make comparisons
Definition of make a comparison
1 : to say that two or more things or people are similar His work has been widely praised. Comparisons have been made to the great painters of past centuries.
2 : to look at similarities and differences between two or more things or people The website allows consumers to make direct comparisons between competing products.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?