make (something) stickidiom
Definition of make (something) stick
: to make it difficult or impossible to move (something) from a place or position —often used figuratively He repeated the information several times to make it stick (in their minds).You can charge him with fraud, but you'll need more evidence if you want to make the charge stick when it comes to a trial.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game