:to lie in wait in a place of concealment especially for an evil purpose
- someone out there lurking in the shadows
:to move furtively or inconspicuously
- shall I lurk about this country like a thief?
- —Henry Fielding
:to persist in staying
- the excitement of the first act still lurking in the air Richard Fletcher
:to be concealed but capable of being discovered;
:to constitute a latent threat
- What evil lurks in the hearts of men?
:to lie hidden
- Malaria lurked in the marshes.
:to read messages on an Internet discussion forum (see forum 1c) (such as a newsgroup or chat room) without contributing