lotto

noun

lot·​to ˈlä-(ˌ)tō How to pronounce lotto (audio)
: a game of chance resembling bingo

Examples of lotto in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web With 40 unique ideas, each date is a surprise waiting to be uncovered, just like scratching off a lotto ticket. Cristian Esteban, Rolling Stone, 7 Feb. 2024 The lotto winners, which included an emergency room team, later picked up their winnings at MiddleCoast Brewing in Traverse City. Anna Lazarus Caplan, Peoplemag, 2 Jan. 2024 With no winner coming forward, 80% of the unclaimed prize funds will be transferred directly to the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund, which supports the state's public education system, and the remaining 20% will return to the prize pool, according to lotto officials. Marlene Lenthang, NBC News, 13 Dec. 2023 Those who regularly buy lottery tickets, as opposed to those who only get a ticket when the jackpot is huge, should consider taking their lotto money and using it to open an investment account or buy partial stock. Catherine Garcia, The Week, 7 Aug. 2023 The mind-bogglingly large jackpot tends to draw in people who don’t normally buy lotto tickets. Allison Morrow, CNN, 7 Nov. 2022 While eye-popping, the $1.58 billion Mega Millions jackpot would rank as only the third-largest prize of all U.S. lotto games. Phil Helsel, NBC News, 8 Aug. 2023 Billion-dollar jackpots are coming more frequently because lotto companies have engineered lower odds for the games,experts say. Ben Brasch, Washington Post, 9 Aug. 2023 That figure would be the second-largest Mega Millions jackpot ever and the fourth-largest in U.S. lotto history when also factoring in Powerball jackpots. Meredith Deliso, ABC News, 4 Aug. 2023 See More

These examples are programmatically compiled from various online sources to illustrate current usage of the word 'lotto.' Any opinions expressed in the examples do not represent those of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback about these examples.

Word History

Etymology

borrowed from French & Italian; French loto, borrowed from Italian lotto "lottery, game of chance based on guessing numbers drawn from an urn" (originally lotto di Genova "Genoa lottery"), borrowed from Middle French lot "lot, portion, share" — more at allot

First Known Use

1778, in the meaning defined above

Time Traveler
The first known use of lotto was in 1778

Dictionary Entries Near lotto

Cite this Entry

“Lotto.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lotto. Accessed 2 Mar. 2024.

More from Merriam-Webster on lotto

Last Updated: - Updated example sentences
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!