lose one's bearingsidiom
Definition of lose one's bearings
: to become lost The ship lost its bearings in the fog. —often used figuratively I feel I've lost my bearings and do not know what I want to do in my life.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game