Definition of long-tailed duck
: a common sea duck (Clangula hyemalis) of the more northern parts of the northern hemisphere of which the adult male is marked with sharply contrasted black and white and has the middle tail feathers very long and slender and the female is plainer and lacks the long tail feathers
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game