Definition of long iron
1 : a golf iron (as a North 1, North 2, or North 3 iron) that has a long shaft and relatively slight loft and is used for hitting a long relatively low ball
2 : a shot or stroke made with a long iron — compare short iron
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?