lock awayphrasal verb
locked away; locking away; locks away
Definition of lock away
1 : to put (something) in a locked container, place, etc. The jewelry was locked away in a cabinet.
2 : to put (someone) in a locked place (such as a prison) for a long period of time lock away a criminal The state locked their sister away in a psychiatric hospital.
3 : to keep (oneself) alone in a room or place for a long period of time He locked himself away in his room while he studied. He was locked away in his room while he studied.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game