Definition of loanshift
: a change in the meaning of a word under the influence of another language (as when a word meaning “pedal extremity” acquires also the meaning “12-inch unit of length” under the influence of English “foot”) also : a word that has undergone such a change in meaning : calque sense 1
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game