: a covered and curtained couch provided with shafts and used for carrying a single passenger
- a litter carried on the shoulders of four men
- —Edwin Tunis
: a device (such as a stretcher) for carrying a sick or injured person
- The wounded soldier was carried to the rear by litter.
2 a (1)
: material used as bedding for animals
- Fibrous peat was used as litter for livestock.
: material used to absorb the urine and feces of animals
: the uppermost slightly decayed layer of organic matter on the forest floor
: the offspring at one birth of a multiparous animal
: trash, wastepaper, or garbage lying scattered about
- trying to clean up the roadside litter
: an untidy accumulation of objects
- a shabby writing-desk covered with a litter of yellowish dusty documents
- —Joseph Conrad