lith·ops | \ ˈliˌthäps\
Definition of lithops
1 capitalized : a genus of stemless succulent southern African plants (family Aizoaceae) that are sometimes grown for ornament and that have the leaves in pairs forming a stonelike body with a fissure on top from which the sessile usually solitary flower emerges
2 plural lithops : any plant of the genus Lithops
— called also living stone, stoneface, stone life face
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game