Definition of lithophone
: any of a class of percussion instruments (such as the qing) that are made of stone and whose sound is produced by striking These ancient lithophones were clearly tuned by flaking and yield two sonorous pentatonic scales.— Thomas D. Rossing, Science of Percussion Instruments, 2000 — compare crystallophone, metallophone
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?