Examples of listless in a Sentence
- He became listless, answered in monosyllables, gurgled, drank a great deal of whisky, and looked with hateful eyes at everyone. —Isaiah Berlin, New York Times Book Review, 12 Apr. 1987
- She looked up and saw everyone starting his work. She took out a piece of paper, feeling listless and bored as she did. —Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy, 1964
- His blue eyes had lost their colour; they had a listless droop; and his mouth, losing the fulness of youth, was weak and pale. —W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage, 1915
- Her pretty face was wan and listless, her hair uncurled—some locks hanging lankly down, and some carelessly twisted round her head. —Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, 1847
The heat made everyone tired and listless.
The party was a listless affair.
Recent Examples of listless from the Web
While Jarry allowed only Fowler's power-play goal with just 3.4 seconds to go in the second, the damage was already done, leaving the 502nd consecutive sellout crowd at PPG Paints Arena to boo another listless night.
It was being shellacked by 46 points and the listless effort from the Kings that made the squad worthy of disparagement.
Amid a listless third period by the Heat, Dragic was forced to the bench with his fourth foul with three minutes left in the quarter, at 3 of 9 with one assist to that stage.
Those next-level decision makers likely left scratching their heads after an underwhelming, occasionally listless performance by the Longhorns (6-3) in a 59-52 loss to Michigan (9-3).
Still, an underwhelming Week 1 win over Nevada and a listless 41-17 loss to Duke don’t paint an excellent picture.
There was the 2012 season, which USC opened ranked No. 1 in the AP Top 25 Poll under third-year head coach Lane Kiffin, only to finish 7–6 with a listless 14-point loss to Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl.
But a listless first half on Tuesday put them back on perilous footing.
Second-year coordinator Ken Zampese will come under more scrutiny after another game of listless offense.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'listless.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsenervated, lackadaisical, languid, languishing, languorous, limp, spiritless
Antonymsambitious, animated, energetic, enterprising, motivated
Related Wordsindolent, lazy, slothful; dull, lethargic, logy (also loggy), sleepy, sluggish, torpid; exhausted, knackered [British], tired, weary; feeble, frail, weak; apathetic, impassive, indifferent, phlegmatic, stolid; careless, heedless, thoughtless, unwary; inactive, inert
Near Antonymsactive, dynamic, industrious, kinetic; avid, eager, enthusiastic, keen, lively, pumped, vivacious; cheerful, chipper, perky, up; agog, alert, awake, dapper, open-eyed, sleepless, vigilant, watchful, wide-awake
Synonym Discussion of listless
- was depressed and languid for weeks after surgery
- languorous cats lying in the sun
- lackadaisical college seniors pretending to study
- listless hospital patients
- listless children flipping through picture books on a rainy day
- a spiritless recital of the poem
LISTLESS Defined for English Language Learners
LISTLESS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up listless? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).