Examples of listless in a Sentence
- He became listless, answered in monosyllables, gurgled, drank a great deal of whisky, and looked with hateful eyes at everyone. —Isaiah Berlin, New York Times Book Review, 12 Apr. 1987
- She looked up and saw everyone starting his work. She took out a piece of paper, feeling listless and bored as she did. —Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy, 1964
- His blue eyes had lost their colour; they had a listless droop; and his mouth, losing the fulness of youth, was weak and pale. —W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage, 1915
- Her pretty face was wan and listless, her hair uncurled—some locks hanging lankly down, and some carelessly twisted round her head. —Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, 1847
The heat made everyone tired and listless.
The party was a listless affair.
Recent Examples of listless from the Web
But given Daryl’s listless position over the past few years, that decision, too, could bring problems.
Other than that, the Warriors can seem listless, disengaged, perfunctory, out of rhythm, even discombobulated.
Drug addicts also often have a listless prefrontal cortex.
By adding Paul, the Rockets corrected the Suns’ mistake, allowing an otherworldly but overworked ballhandler to steal breathers and eliminate listless possessions.
In races across the country, GOP candidates are struggling with listless fundraising and robust challengers.
LeBron himself got a head start for the exits, walking off the court with time still on the clock after his surprisingly listless triple-double – 24 points, 10 rebounds, 12 assists – went for naught.
Restore vitality and luster to those listless eyes of yours.
The safety nets Asia is weaving might even spare some people from long, listless waits outside a mosque, hoping to be fed by the piety of strangers.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'listless.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of listless
- was depressed and languid for weeks after surgery
- languorous cats lying in the sun
- lackadaisical college seniors pretending to study
- listless hospital patients
- listless children flipping through picture books on a rainy day
- a spiritless recital of the poem
LISTLESS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of listless for English Language Learners
: lacking energy or spirit
LISTLESS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up listless? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).