Examples of listless in a Sentence
- He became listless, answered in monosyllables, gurgled, drank a great deal of whisky, and looked with hateful eyes at everyone. —Isaiah Berlin, New York Times Book Review, 12 Apr. 1987
- She looked up and saw everyone starting his work. She took out a piece of paper, feeling listless and bored as she did. —Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy, 1964
- His blue eyes had lost their colour; they had a listless droop; and his mouth, losing the fulness of youth, was weak and pale. —W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage, 1915
- Her pretty face was wan and listless, her hair uncurled—some locks hanging lankly down, and some carelessly twisted round her head. —Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, 1847
The heat made everyone tired and listless.
The party was a listless affair.
Recent Examples of listless from the Web
Miami, which enjoyed its biggest blowout win of the season Wednesday against the Hawks, played listless at times Friday night, leaving shooters wide open.
There’s nothing more frustrating than a listless stretch of early-season play in any sport, but nothing defines patience — or faith, for that matter — like the ability to recognize and appreciate the 162-game grind.
Newcomer Felipe Gutierrez scored twice — his final tally in the 86th minute to secure Sporting KC’s first victory of the season after the club opened with a listless outing last weekend.
The action though, is just a tiny slice of an otherwise listless European travelogue.
But with conservatives in charge of all three branches of government and ISIS on the run, CPAC gathering seemed listless—until a reminder about Trump's troubles blew up the room.
His team was a listless group for so much of Tuesday night's 112-106 victory over the going-nowhere Chicago Bulls at the United Center before 20,912 fans.
Vancouver was coming off a listless 4-0 home loss to Buffalo before the All-Star break.
IU Insider Zach Osterman recaps Indiana's 71-61 defeat at Wisconsin, and a frustrating, listless second half for the Hoosiers.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'listless.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of listless
- was depressed and languid for weeks after surgery
- languorous cats lying in the sun
- lackadaisical college seniors pretending to study
- listless hospital patients
- listless children flipping through picture books on a rainy day
- a spiritless recital of the poem
LISTLESS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of listless for English Language Learners
: lacking energy or spirit
LISTLESS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up listless? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).