lie on/uponphrasal verb
lay on/upon; lain on/upon; lying on/upon; lies on/upon
Definition of lie on/upon
: to affect (someone) in a specified way Sorrow lay heavily on him. Guilt lies on his conscience. She keeps herself healthy so her years lie lightly upon her.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?