lie of the landnoun phrase
Definition of lie of the land
: the arrangement of the different parts in an area of land : where things are located in a place She knew the lie of the land from hiking through it daily. —often used figuratively It takes time for new employees to get the lie of the land in this department.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game