let off; letting off; lets off
Definition of let off
1 : to allow (someone) to get off a bus, an airplane, etc. Could you let me off (the bus) at the next stop, please? The bus stopped to let off a few passengers.
2 : to allow (someone who has been caught doing something wrong or illegal) to go without being punished The police officer let her off with just a warning. They let him off easy/easily/lightly, if you ask me.
3 : to cause (something) to explode or to be released in a forceful way let off a firecracker opened the valve to let off pressure
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Criming'
- 'Party': A Word for One or Many
- 8 Colors from the Bigger Crayon Box
- Merriam-Webster Recommends: Books to Read While You're Hunkered Down
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Flower Edition Take the quiz
- March 2020 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game