Definition of lepospondylous
1 : having vertebrae enclosing the notochord each of which consists of a cylinder of bone shaped like an hourglass in longitudinal section —used especially of some extinct stegocephalian amphibians
2 [ New Latin Lepospondyli + English -ous ] : of or relating to the Lepospondyli
3 : having the vertebral centra develop directly as bone
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game