leaseback

noun
lease·​back | \ ˈlēs-ˌbak How to pronounce leaseback (audio) \

Definition of leaseback

: the sale of property with the understanding that the seller can lease it from the new owner

Examples of leaseback in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web The Playhouse 7 in Pasadena, for example, is operating under a leaseback that extends only to June. Pat Saperstein, Variety, 18 May 2022 And just $70 million, or 11%, of the purchase price was equity; the remaining 89% came from new debt and the sale-leaseback transactions. Jc Reindl, Detroit Free Press, 22 Mar. 2022 In open session, the board approved a change order for $2.1 million for the lease-leaseback agreements for the Del Mar Heights School rebuild project; and reviewed its annual and Measure MM bond fund audits for 2020-21. Laura Groch, San Diego Union-Tribune, 20 Feb. 2022 In any event, as explained above, sale-and-leaseback arrangements are inconsistent with our rules. Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica, 16 Feb. 2022 Laemmle Theatres sold the Playhouse space in 2020, and their leaseback agreement runs out in April. Los Angeles Times, 3 Feb. 2022 In the sale-and-leaseback arrangements that Rosenworcel wants to stop, an ISP sells its wiring to a building owner and then leases back the wiring on an exclusive basis. Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica, 24 Jan. 2022 As of 2020, private equity firm Brookwood Financial Partners LLC, the owner and founder of Yesway, raised $642 million in equity for the company, as well as $237 million in sale-leaseback proceeds. Dallas News, 22 Sep. 2021 Another intriguing alternative is what's known as a sale-leaseback transaction. Next Avenue, Forbes, 15 Oct. 2021 See More

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'leaseback.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

First Known Use of leaseback

1947, in the meaning defined above

Learn More About leaseback

Time Traveler for leaseback

Time Traveler

The first known use of leaseback was in 1947

See more words from the same year

Dictionary Entries Near leaseback

lease and release

leaseback

leasehold

See More Nearby Entries 

Statistics for leaseback

Cite this Entry

“Leaseback.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/leaseback. Accessed 10 Aug. 2022.

Style: MLA
MLACheck Mark Icon ChicagoCheck Mark Icon APACheck Mark Icon Merriam-WebsterCheck Mark Icon

More Definitions for leaseback

leaseback

noun
lease·​back | \ ˈlēs-ˌbak How to pronounce leaseback (audio) \

Legal Definition of leaseback

: the sale of property with the understanding that the seller can lease it back from the new owner often used in the phrase sale and leaseback

WORD OF THE DAY

Test Your Vocabulary

Odd Habits and Quirks

  • image1926873504
  • Which of the following best describes an easily irritated person?
How Strong Is Your Vocabulary?

Test your vocabulary with our 10-question quiz!

TAKE THE QUIZ
Universal Daily Crossword

A daily challenge for crossword fanatics.

TAKE THE QUIZ
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!