lay a/the foundationidiom
Definition of lay a/the foundation
1 : to create a usually stone or concrete structure that supports a building from underneath
2 : to provide something (such as an idea, a principle, or a fact) from which another thing develops or can develop Her early research laid the foundation for many important medical discoveries.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
- ls ‘Series’ Singular or Plural?
- Triumph, Ovations and Other Words from Ancient Rome
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game