lapse intophrasal verb
lapsed into; lapsing into; lapses into
Definition of lapse into
1 : to begin using or doing (something that should be avoided) for a short period of time He's a good writer, but he occasionally lapses into jargon.
2 : to begin to be in (a worse or less active state or condition) The crowd lapsed into silence. The patient lapsed into a coma. The society lapsed into decline.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game