lap uptransitive verb
Definition of lap up
1 : to respond to enthusiastically or accept eagerly she simply lapped up admiration— Helen Howe readiness to lap up the latest sensation— Herbert Brucker
2 : drink sat there … lapping up the wonderful Japanese beer— J. A. Michener
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?