know the meaning of (something)idiom
Definition of know the meaning of (something)
: to understand (something) because one has experienced it I know the meaning of loneliness. —often used in negative statements Those people don't know the meaning of hard work. —often used in an exaggerated way to make a forceful statement He doesn't know the meaning of fear.I'll never stop trying. I don't know the meaning of the word "failure."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game