know (someone) by nameidiom
Definition of know (someone) by name
1 : to know a person well enough to know the person's name She knows all of her customers by name. I took her to a restaurant where the owner knows me by name. The police know him by name.
2 : to know a person's name only He said he only knew her by name and didn't know much more about her.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game