knock the stuffing out ofidiom
Definition of knock the stuffing out of
: to cause (someone) to lose energy and confidence : to make (someone) feel weak or overwhelmed When he found out that he didn't get the job, it really knocked the stuffing out of him.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game