Definition of knock around
1 : to spend time in (a place) without having a goal or purpose : to wander around (a place) He spent the summer knocking around (in) Europe.
2 British : to spend time with (another person) She was knocking around with her brother.
3 : to be considered or discussed in an informal way over a period of time These ideas have been knocking around for years.
4 : to consider or talk about (ideas, plans, etc.) in an informal way We knocked the plan around for a while before we came to an agreement. They knocked around several possible names for the new car.
5 : to beat or hit (someone) badly or repeatedly The boy was getting knocked around by bullies. —often used figuratively I really got knocked around at the last staff meeting.
6 chiefly British : to be lying somewhere within a general area or place That jacket is knocking around here somewhere.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game