Definition of kerning
1 typography : the act or result of kerning characters Good kerning can enhance a font's appearance.
2 typography : the distance between a kerned pair of adjacent characters in a line of composed text increased the kerning between the f and the period a kerning of +100 Adobe typefaces tend to have between 500 and 1000 kerning pairs. The El Cheapo font that you downloaded for free from the Web may not have any.— Nigel French broadly : letterspacing, tracking
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game