keep the wolf from the dooridiom
Definition of keep the wolf from the door
: to have or earn enough money to afford things (such as food and clothing) that is needed to live They make just enough to keep the wolf from the door.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game