Definition of keep quiet
1 : to not say anything or make any noise He thought about telling the police what he knew, but he decided to keep quiet. Please keep quiet during the movie.
2 : to not say anything about (something) She kept her plans quiet.
3 : to prevent (someone or something) from making noise She gave the dog a bone to keep him quiet.
4 : to prevent (someone) from revealing information about something They paid money to the witness to keep him quiet.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game