keep one's mouth shutidiom
Definition of keep one's mouth shut
1 : to not say anything When he starts talking about politics, I just keep my mouth shut.
2 : to not talk about something (such as a secret) She told me to keep my mouth shut about the news. I never tell him anything important because he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game