keep one's powder dryidiom
Definition of keep one's powder dry
: to be calm and ready for a possible problem in the future They don't know how the election will turn out, so for now they're just keeping their powder dry.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game