keep onphrasal verb
kept on; keeping on; keeps on
Definition of keep on
1 informal : to continue happening, doing something, working, etc. The rain kept on throughout the day. He talked and talked. At one point I thought he would keep on all night. She kept on talking after I told her to be quiet.
2 : to continue to have (someone) as an employee The chef was kept on even after the restaurant was sold.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game