Definition of in touch
1 : in a state in which people communicate with each other especially by calling or writing to each other We kept/stayed in touch after college. They keep in touch by e-mail. —often + withI'll be in touch with you later this week.I have been trying to get in touch with her all day.The childhood friends have kept in touch with each other for 40 years.
2 : in a state of being aware of what is happening, how certain people feel, etc. —usually + withAs a professor of biology, it is important to keep/stay in touch with the latest research.She is in touch with the voters and their needs.
3 : in a state of being aware of a particular part of one's character that is not easily noticed —usually + withShe meditates to get in touch with her inner self.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Criming'
- 'Party': A Word for One or Many
- 8 Colors from the Bigger Crayon Box
- Merriam-Webster Recommends: Books to Read While You're Hunkered Down
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Flower Edition Take the quiz
- March 2020 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game