keep backphrasal verb
kept back; keeping back; keeps back
Definition of keep back
: to not go near something The police asked the spectators to keep back. The guide told us to keep back from the edge of the cliff.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game